Class of 2022
Started in June 2021, the new ESA astronauts selection process has come to an end in November 2022 with a public presentation of the new team. This selection is composed of 17 exceptional lucky genius with 5 Career Astronauts (permanent), 11 Astronauts in reserve (substitute) and 1 Astronaut with a disability.
Career Astronauts :
- Sophie Adenot (aged 40, France) lieutenant colonel in the French Air Force and helicopter test pilot.
- Pablo Álvarez Fernández (aged 34, Spain) structural engineer for several aircraft and space programs.
- Rosemary Coogan (aged 31, United-Kingdom) Physicist, researcher in astronomy and astrophysics.
- Raphaël Liégeois (aged 34, Belgium) Professor and researcher in neurology and brain neurodegenerative diseases.
- Marco Sieber (33, Switzerland) emergency medical doctor, private pilot, paratrooper, skydiving instructor.
Class of 2009
This new cohort is intended to follow in the footsteps of the currently active team of 6 famous ESA astronauts composed of :
- Timothy Peake (UK)
- Andreas Mogensen (Denmark)
- Alexander Gerst (Germany)
- Luca Parmitano (Italia)
- Samantha Cristoforetti (Italia)
- Thomas Pesquet (France)